Most of us are not electricians, but it is important to know all the appropriate safety precautions. Without electrical safety knowledge, your home could go up in flames, literally. By following some basic tips when dealing with electricity, you can avoid a costly house fire.
Turn the Power Off
One of the basic things you should know about electrical safety is to turn the power off at the circuit breaker box prior to working on anything electrical. Do not forget this step as this is the only way to make sure there is no power going to where you’re working.
Avoid Extension Cords
While extension cords are okay for temporary uses, they should not be utilized for a long term source of power. If you are continually using extension cords, call an electrician and have another outlet installed.
If you have young children, plan to have children in the future, or frequently have guests with children, you will want to invest in some outlet covers. Children are curious by nature and outlets are perfect in size for tiny fingers to put things in and get hurt.
Do Not Overload Outlets
Outlets are intended to only put out a certain amount of energy. If you plug numerous high-wattage appliances into the same outlet, it can be very dangerous. Rearrange your appliances to take some pressure off the outlet.
Warm outlets are not a good sign. They can be a sign of a bad connection and can lead to fire or shock dangers. If an outlet feels warm or is continually tripping the breaker, call an electrician.
Look at all of your appliance cords to see if they are two or three-pronged. If any of your major appliances have only two prongs, replace them. Also, check to make sure the wires are not frayed or damaged. This is a common problem that will cause sparks to fly and fires to start.
Call a Professional
Understanding essential electrical tips can help keep you, your family, and your home stay safe from any hazards or possible fires. If all else fails and you don’t know what to do, call an experienced professional for help.